Adopting a new puppy is a very exciting time for many new pet owners and often can be a spur of the moment decision. While pet lovers of the world would love to see all animals in a loving and “furever” home, we also encourage all pet parents to do their homework. Responsible breeders don’t sell their puppies to the first person who shows up with cash in hand. And all too often, unsuspecting people buy puppies that are in poor health or with temperament problems that may not be discovered right away. So how can you tell if you are dealing with a reputable breeder?
- The breeder will ask lots of questions and have even more expectations of the adopting family to make sure that the puppy is going home to a safe environment. They may even ask to visit your home.
- The breeder will have proper documentation for the puppies and be knowledgeable of the breed.
- The breeder practices responsible mating, taking genetic predispositions into account.
- The breeder will introduce you to the puppy’s parents or have pictures and information to provide to the adopting family.
- The breeder will have a safe and clean environment with plenty of clean water, beds, and toys.
- The breeder will have a good working relationship with a local veterinarian.
- The breeder will offer references of past clients.
- The breeder will keep all puppies until they are between 8 and 12 weeks of age AND have received all necessary vaccinations and examinations.
- The breeder will offer a health guarantee or warranty.
- The breeder will take the puppy back should their new home not work out.
If you are uncertain of where to begin, ask for referrals. Your local veterinarian or breed clubs should have plenty of information on local and reputable breeders. Please keep in mind that responsible breeders will never sell dogs through a pet store or in any other way that does not allow them to meet with and talk with you. If you’re looking to adopt your new “furever” pet, please visit our professional staff and breeders with over a decade of experience at premierpups.com.